The St. Albans School, P.S.36Q
"The Jewel of St. Albans"
Where Everyone Shines
Lynn Staton, Principal, Main Office: (718) 528-1862 Fax: 723-6928
A Message From Our Principal
Dear P.S. 36 Family:
Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year! This is going to be an awesome year for you and your scholars. As the learning bar has been raised we are going to ensure that your scholars are engaged in learning through listening, writing, speaking and doing. We are a community school and we are all a part of the success of the village. We have an open door policy where you can come in and visit your scholars’ classroom. Everyone must be invested in the achievement of our scholars. Learning begins at home and extends in school and throughout our community.
The common core standards are alive and well. The standards are challenging and require our scholars to develop critical thinking skills, problem solving abilities and be able to articulate what they know and do. Everyone in the village (Administrators, Teachers, Parents and Scholars) must be held accountable and responsible for learning. It is the partnership and relationship between all stakeholders that will aid in the academic success of your scholar. Let every experience be a learning experience for your scholar. Be active, be vigilant about learning and make sure your scholar is doing their best in everything they do.
Join us on “Meet the Teacher Family Night” September 17, 2018 4:30-7:00 PM and learn the expectations of the grade. Utilize “Parent Tuesdays” to meet with your scholars’ teachers to discuss ways of helping them. You can use the time to read or practice math concepts with your child and teacher. Come to our monthly workshops and open houses to learn new things. Join the PTA or SLT to have a voice in your school and most of all feel free to talk to the Administration, PTA or Parent Coordinator on ways that you can make the school better. This is your school and it is only as good as your participation.
“Collaboration is key to student success.”
Please be reminded of:
* School begins at 8:20 AM and ends at 2:40 PM. The breakfast program begins at 7:50 AM-8:15 AM
* P.S. 36Q is a uniform school. Scholars must be dressed in full uniform Monday-Thursday. Friday is dress down day.
* Friday is also Ice Cream Friday – scholars can purchase ice cream for $1.00.
* The first lunch period begins at 11:10 AM (grade 2, 3, 4 eat at that time). The second lunch period begins at 12:05 PM (grades K, 1, 5 eat at that time). Parents who need to bring lunch to their child will leave it at the security desk for the child to pick up with the child’s name and class.
* Every Tuesday is parent time from 2:40-3:15 PM. You are able to make arrangements to come and meet with your child’s teacher at that time.
* Updated medical and dental forms need to be submitted by October 1st. Scholars can be excluded from school if their immunization is not up to date.
* Every child MUST read every night. Make that a habit. Ensure your child has a library card.
* Discuss proper behavior and expectations of why you go to school with your child.
* Adhere to school rules, protocols and regulations. You must present and ID to the security upon entering the building.
* Kindergarten parents may walk their scholars to their class for the first two weeks of school. After that the scholars will be escorted to their classroom.
We give 100% to you and your scholar and we expect 100% in our returns which will give you 100% interest in your investment.
Lynn M. Staton, Principal
8:30-8:35 DEAR Time
8:40-9:25 Instructional Time
9:30-10:15 Instructional Time
10:20-11:05 Instructional Time
11:10-11:55 Lunch-Grades 2, 3, and 4
12:05-12:55 Lunch-Grades K, 1, and 5
1:00-1:45 Instructional Time
1:50-2:35 Instructional Time
2:40-3:55 Parent Time (2:40-3:15)
Arrival & Dismissal
All scholars may arrive as early as 7:50am for the breakfast program. Scholars must be picked up on time. School begins at 8:20am. Scholars must be in front of their class at 8:20am. Scholars are considered late if they arrive after 8:25am.
Kindergarten and SPED - Cafeteria
Grades 1 & 2- Upper Yard (Inclement weather: School auditorium
Grades 3-5 Lower Yard
Grade 3 School auditorium
Grades 4-5 Mini Building Hallway